Monday, May 12, 2008

OSU Links & Zoo

Today I visited both Maejo University and Chiang Mai University. The Presidents of both universities are graduates of Oklahoma State University and Dr. Bob Terry was advisor to both of them. When I arrived at Maejo, I was greeted by a large sign that says “Home of the Cowboys.” President Thep was out of the county but I met with three members of their agricultural production faculty. We discussed Food Safety and Traceability and International Trade. They answered several questions I had about Thai agriculture and we had a really good discussion. Here are some interesting statistics. 20% of Thailand exports are agricultural. 60% of the Thai population is involved in the Agri-Food industry and Thailand is the #1 exporter of rice, rubber and canned tuna. The Vice President for International Affairs treated the professors and I to lunch at an International buffet. Next I went to Chiang Mai University and met with President Pongsak Angkasith. We talked about his time in Oklahoma and he told me that a group from his university is on their way to Oklahoma right now with Dr. Terry. Maybe I will get to meet them when I get back. After the meeting I went to Chiang Mai Zoo which is right next to the university. This is a really nice zoo and it seemed that the animals were posing for pictures. I am a big kid when it comes to zoos – I love them. Check out the pictures below and there are more on the SnapFish site, click the Fellowship Photos link on the right side of the page.







Tonight I plan to go to the Chiang Mai Night Bazaar which is held in the streets that surround my hotel. Things are really cheap and I love all of the Thai art and jewelry.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing photos! You should consider becoming a professional. Pat

Hope Pjesky said...

Thanks Pat. It is easy when you have such great subjects. I glad you are still checking the blog.

Hope

Anonymous said...

I have been following your adventure daily! It is such a great opportunity. I'm glad you get to do it. Pat

Hope Pjesky said...

It really is an adventure. I will add two more posts in a little bit.

Hope

Anonymous said...

ostings

Thank you

My son is Traveling to bangkok and area for a month of two, leaving in two more days
I have been concerned about his going there, one here so much about the country being of danger. But reading of some of the experiences you enjoyed on your travels, and things seen, I feel better

He is 42 not just a kid But it seems one never stops feeling concern over ones children

Thanks so much

Have forwarded thissite to him, Graham.