Monday, May 12, 2008

Chiang Mai Sightseeing

On Saturday morning I flew to Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand. After eating lunch at my hotel, I caught a taxi to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep. (Taxis here are small pickups with an enclosure on the back and two benches.) The Wat (temple) is very beautiful. It sits on top of a mountain overlooking the city and has a wonderful view. Unfortunately, it started pouring rain just as I arrived and started up the steps, so I got soaked. In one of the pictures below you can see the water running off of the roof in the foreground.


When I got back to the hotel I walked down the street to a restaurant that my guidebook recommended. It is called Chiang Mai Saloon and serves Mexican food and steaks. I had fajitas and they were very good. Below is a picture of their sign. I couldn’t resist buying a shirt with the cowboy riding the bucking elephant.

My last outing of the day was the Chiang Mai Night Safari. This new tourist attraction has animals from all over the world as well as a lighted musical fountain show with lasers. The trams take you by the animals and they shine a light so you can see them. It was impossible to get any pictures because of the limited light but it was an enjoyable evening.

No comments: